Friday, February 3, 2012

Great Movie Quotes - Part Six



It's time again for the latest installment - part six - in my collection of Great Movie Quotes. You know, not the "Here's looking at you, kid" type of quote, but ones that are perfect for the moment in the movie and deserve to be better known.

So without further ado...

"You always look for leaders, strong men without any faults. They're aren't any." - Zapata (Marlon Brando) - Viva Zapata! (1952)


"The world belongs to meat eaters and if you get to take it raw, take it raw."  - Ben Quick (Paul Newman) to Clara Varner (Joanne Woodward) - The Long Hot Summer (1958)


"Did you realize that people are the only animals that make love face to face?" - Bill Dolworth (Burt Lancaster) - The Professionals (1966)



"We got a dollar ninety-eight and you're laughing." - Clyde Barrow (Warren Beatty) to Bonnie Parker- Bonnie and Clyde (1967)


"The smell of the flowers only made me sicker. The headaches got worse. I think I've got stomach cancer. But I shouldn't complain - you're only as happy as you feel." - Travis Bickle (Robert DeNiro) Taxi Driver (1976)


"You see, in a world where elephants are pursued by flying men, people are just going to naturally want to get high." - John Converse (Michael Moriarity) - voice over narration in Who'll Stop the Rain (1978)



"You never had a camera in my head." - Truman Burbank (Jim Carrey) - The Truman Show (1998)


"I'm not sure you can get AIDS by burning down your house, but I get your point." - Senator Jay Bulworth (Warren Beatty) - Bulworth (1998)


"Obsession is a young man's game." - Cutter (Michael Caine) - The Prestige (2006)




"It's just money. It's made up. Pieces of paper with pictures on it, so we don't have to kill each other just to get something to eat." - John Tuld (Jeremy Irons) to Sam Rogers (Kevin Spacey) -Margin Call (2011)

6 comments:

  1. To these, I'll add:

    Addison DeWitt: That I should want you at all suddenly strikes me as the height of improbability. (All About Eve)

    J.J. Hunsecker: My right hand hasn't seen my left hand in thirty years. (Sweet Smell of Success)

    Lorraine: I met a lot of hard-boiled eggs in my life, but you - you're twenty minutes. (Ace in the Hole)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen:

    Thanks for the additions! All great lines.

    You'll notice that "Ace in the Hole" is on my list of favorite movies. Great screenplay- thanks for adding that line- it's a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see Viva Zapata on your list, Tom - my favorite Brando film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment. I've rarely heard anyone mention VIVA ZAPATA as their favorite Brando film- good for you!

    I love the film as well. Brando starred, Kazan directed and a John Steinbeck screenplay. That line is really timeless, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A top movie quote list that includes a 2011 film. It must be a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Maurice:

    Nice to hear from you! I loved "Margin Call" - have you seen it? A very smart screenplay with several memorable lines.

    ReplyDelete